Friday 15 March 2013

Evaluation: How Does Your Media Product Represent Particular Social Groups?



Similarities:

There are several clear similarities between these two photographs. The photo I have used as a comparison to my cover photograph is taken from Q (another music magazine).

  • Both photographs are close up shots. I used a Canon 550D SLR digital camera, whereas Q opt to use the newly developed REDone 4K digital camera (far superior and far more costly, starting at £20,000). The angle we have both used is eye-level. I used this angle to symbolise that the artist (model) is 'down to earth', aka on the same level as the readers.
  • Both models' hair takes up the page around them. I have done this to provide a better background for the text on my cover, and I presume this is also why Q have chosen to use a photograph like the one above.
  • The lighting is very bright in both photographs. I did this to make my model appear natural, and to connote positive thoughts and perceptions. The gesture of my model is very innocent and natural. As people say, my model 'smiles with her eyes' - although there is also a subtle smile in the mouth area too.
  • Both photographs emphasis on the eyes of the models. The reason I focused on the eyes was to draw in the reader to pick my magazine. It's a known fact that  the first thing you notice about a person is their eyes, so I made an effort to make my models eyes stand out.
  • Both models are wearing make up. I chose not to overdo the make up as I wanted to keep my model looking natural and 'innocent'.


Differences:

As well as the similarities between the two photographs, there are also a few subtle differences.

  • My model is wearing a jacket, which is visible at the top of the page (you can see the furry hood)
  • The model to the left is wearing quite a lot more make up than my model. My model is wearing only mascara, foundation, concealer and matte lip gloss whereas the other model is wearing lip stick, foundation, concealer, lip gloss, toner, eye shadow, primer, mascara and nail varnish.
  • The hand of the model in the left are visible, whereas my models hands are not shown
  • The model on the left has bright red/ginger hair, whereas my model has dirty bonde hair. Also, the model to the left has a fringe and mine does not.
  • The edges of my photograph have been blurred to better contrast the text that is laid on top, whereas Q has opted not to do this.
VoiceThread on how I have represented social groups in my magazine:

Click the image to take you to my VoiceThread

No comments: