Thursday 13 September 2012

Research & Planning: Film Review

Avengers Assemble Film Review spread (made in InDesign)

To create this I used a combination of software programs. I used Firefox to find a film review from Empire Online (here's the original) and then pasted it into Microsoft Word for later use. I also used the image from the Empire film review, I copied it and saved it to the desktop.

Then I opened up Adobe InDesign and created a new document, A4 size. I proceeded to create new guides, I created three columns that fit within the margin of the page, with a 5mm spacing between them. Once I had done this, I used the place tool to insert the text (film review) that I had saved earlier. I started by dragging from the top right corner to the bottom left corner of a column. I then clicked the red arrow icon to add a further two columns and complete the text layout. I moved them around and justified the text to make it seem fuller on the page.

Now I added the image that I had saved to my desktop. I resized the image and placed it above two of the columns. I also used the Text tool to add a caption beneath the image to describe what it was.

I decided to add a bar across the top of the page to add a little contrast to the rest of the page, I again used the Text tool to add a the title of the section 'Film Review'.

Then I added a masthead using the Type tool. I used two fonts, Arial Narrow and Times Italic. I changed the colour and resized the text.

Finally, I added a background to the page using the rectangular shape tool, I then used the swatches palette to change the colour of the box to match the style of the page. I then changed the box so that it appeared beneath the other elements of the page.

No comments: